Sydney is one of the most visited cities in Australia. This is in part due to the vast amount of diversity available here, providing domestic and international tourists plenty of things to see or do. But if you are staying for the weekend, there are enough attractions to add to your itinerary to enjoy the full Sydney experience.
With a vast amount of hidden gems and popular tourist attractions, knowing where to start can be overwhelming. Use this weekender guide to help organize the perfect itinerary and make the most of your weekend getaway.
How to Spend a Weekend in Sydney
Spending a weekend in Sydney opens up a world of possibilities for tourists. Whether you are looking for a laidback weekend or a bit of adventurous time, Sydney has plenty to offer. You can spend your morning exploring the beach in Manly or Bondi, or hike the Blue Mountains in the afternoon. You can end the night at the Sydney Harbour. With an efficient transportation system, getting from one point to another is easy.
You can check out the top tourist activities to enjoy in Sydney.
Top Activities for a Weekend in Sydney
Whether you have a day or an entire weekend to stay, these are the top attractions you must check out in Sydney:
- Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge – If you are up for an adventurous weekend, make sure you spend time to climb up the bridge. The Bridge Climb is one of the top tourist activities in Sydney. Therefore, you do not have any excuse to pass this up. Plus, you can be treated to stunning views when you get up the bridge.
- Head to Sydney’s famous beaches – Another major activity to do on the weekend in Sydney is to spend some time on the beach. Whether you are going swimming, surfing, or sailing, there are endless opportunities available. The best beaches in Sydney are located in Manly and Bondi Beach.
- Walk the Bondi to Bronte Trail – This is one of the most iconic pedestrian trails in Sydney, thanks to the breathtaking panoramic views. The trail is 4 km long so it can be easily done. If you want to go beyond that trail, you can continue your exploration towards Coogee (which adds two more kilometers to the trail).
- Hike the Blue Mountains – Take your hike to another level as you climb up the Blue Mountains – a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This is a favorite day trip for a lot of tourists who come to Sydney. When you take this climb, you will be able to enjoy the spectacular views of the famed Three Sisters.
- Visit the Sydney Opera House – As one of the most iconic buildings in the world and top attractions in Sydney, this is a must in your weekend itinerary. You can explore the outside and marvel at this architectural gem, or catch a performance inside.
Sydney Weekend Accommodation Options
For a perfect weekend getaway, a luxury serviced apartment is the best option for an accommodation. If you are traveling as a large group, the Sydney East Luxury Apartment is exactly what you are looking for. This luxury serviced accommodation is your ‘home away from home’. A typical three-bedroom penthouse and serviced apartment has enough room to accommodate a group of 8 people.
View this post on Instagram
Where is your next holiday destination? 📌 Stay in Sydney, link in bio ⤴ . . . #sydneyeastluxuryapartment #sydneyapartments #luxury #hotellife #traveller #beautifulhotels #luxuryapartments #penthouse #penthouseparty #penthousesydney #rentapenthouse #viewsofsydney #sydney #sydneyaustralia #sydneyharbour #sydney🇦🇺 #sydney_insta #sydneylife #darlingharbour #harbourbridge #sydneycity #lunapark #operahouse #sydneyferry #sydneyhotels #privatepenthouse #luxurystays #balconyviews #partyvenue #birthdaycelebration
The great thing about staying in a luxury serviced apartment is that you can experience contemporary living. Live comfortably even while you are on a holiday with the modern amenities, spacious design, and fully-furnished interiors. It is the perfect place to unwind after a day of exploring Sydney while being treated to unparalleled views of the city skyline.
Sydney City vs Suburbs
The perfect accommodation is what will make or break your weekend stay in Sydney. The main thing to consider when choosing an accommodation is the location. You need to pick an accommodation that is centrally located. This will make it easy to explore on foot and to ensure that every attraction is close by, which saves you time when you go sightseeing.
But which area is the best? The main option for a lot of tourists is the Sydney CBD area. This is the very heart of the city, which is a great option because some of the top tourist attractions are within a short walking distance. Another advantage is that you can get easy access to many transportation hubs. The only downside is that you can expect the nightly rates for accommodation to be higher than other parts of Sydney.
The Southern End of Sydney CBD is another great area to consider, especially for budget-conscious travelers. You have more options available in terms of cheaper accommodation and still stay close to the main attractions. Other main areas to look around for an accommodation include Darling Harbour, Central Station, Darlinghurst, Surry Hills, and Bondi Beach. Bondi Beach is a favorite for the younger crowd because of the laid back vibe close to the beach.
When choosing between these neighborhoods/areas in Sydney, choose a central location. That way, you can easily access the city, the Sydney harbor, the ferries, and popular beaches in the area.